Select your country
You are viewing information for:
United States of America
Essex has a long history of welcoming students from the US amongst our 136 nationalities. We offer a range of study abroad, undergraduate, postgraduate masters and research degrees in our highly ranked departments with many US students excelling in our Social Sciences and Liberal Arts.
- a research-intensive university and came top 20 in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) - our students are taught, supported and supervised by world leaders in their fields
- Top 10 for student satisfaction (English mainstream universities, NSS 2016)
- ranked top 5 in the UK for social sciences research (REF 2014)
- uniquely international – 12,000 students from over 130 countries
- less than one hour from London – our three campuses are in great locations. The University’s largest campus is based in beautiful parkland in Colchester.
- An award-winning Students’ Union and guaranteed accommodation.
- great international graduate employability - 97.8% of our non-EU graduates were in employment or further study within six months (DLHE survey 2015)
- a range of international Essex scholarships
- friendly and supportive campus environments
- outstanding academic and social facilities
- well established foundation, pre- Masters and English language pathways
- notable alumni including Christopher Pissarides, the Nobel Prize winning economist; several Members of Parliament; the first Mexican astronaut Dr Rodolfo Neri Vela; the twice President of Costa Rica, Dr Oscar Arias Sanchez who also received the Nobel Peace Prize; Daniel Libeskind, an internationally renowned architect; and David Yates, a BAFTA award winning director, who worked on the Harry Potter film series.
For undergraduate study we are typically looking for GPA of 3.0 plus ACTs/SATs/APs/APTs. For postgraduate courses students should have a minimum of 2.8 GPA in their bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field. You can find more information here.
Scholarships and funding
Essex is approved to receive U.S Federal Aid/Direct Loans, GI Bill, Marshall Scholarships and Fulbright Awards.
Essex currently has 157 US students here such as Lori from Virginia studying BA Film and Creative Writing:
“I chose Essex for three reasons - the positive reputation it has not only in its high rankings but also of general opinion from previous students, the friendly community it offers to both residents and international students and the proximity and easy transport links to London.
One of the highlights is the accommodation - so many en-suite options and all the rooms are kept up really well! I also love my studies. My department has helpful, friendly staff who know students by name and their enthusiasm for their subject is infectious. The friendly, welcoming atmosphere of Essex is great because, being an international student, there are many new obstacles and challenges presented to you that can be overwhelming at times. However, with the amount of networks available -Student Support, the Advice Centre, Health Centre and facilities such as banks on campus - you’ll always have support if you need it. And, with plenty of student activities, shops, restaurants and the gym, you’ll never feel out of place and you’ll be surprised how easy it is to make friends here.
University of Essex is proving to be the best university choice I could have made. I’m having an amazing time with my studies, meeting awesome people and gaining new cultural experience!”
As an Essex member you will belong to a worldwide community of over 85,000 alumni around the world.
Amongst our notable alumni is John Warwick Montgomery, American lawyer, theologian and academic, who studied MPhil Law at Essex.
Talk to current, past and other prospective students in our North American Facebook group or contact Emmi who looks after our North American students.