We provide many opportunities for students to develop the skills they
need to choose and secure a rewarding career:
- Many of our degrees are professionally accredited by bodies such
as the British Psychological Society (BPS), the Health Professions
Council (HPC), the British Computer Society (BCS) and the
Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- All our courses help to develop employability skills within the
- Many lecturers have professional experience and close
relationships with employers
- We offer students opportunities to undertake industrial
placements, work experience or study abroad and to obtain
qualifications such as the CISCO Networking qualification.
- We encourage students to get involved in activities such as
mentoring, volunteering, leading student societies, and
- Students can access services such as myLife - an e-portfolio to
showcase their skills to employers
Each department has designated staff to help students with careers.
Support is also available from the University's
Employability and Careers Centre, which organises
a range of events throughout the year, and can offer students
professional one-to-one advice and guidance on jobs related to their
degree. We offer support each step of the way through focused job
searching, making effective applications and preparing for interviews.
Our graduates go into a variety of jobs and many choose to remain at
Essex for further study. Areas our graduates have found employment
in include: computing, web developing, health professions, medical
science, management including advertising, marketing and human
resources, financial analysis, and teaching.