Academic English classes
We run a programme of in-sessional academic English classes to support you if English is an
additional language. The programme is free of charge to all full-time students at Essex. Classes are run
as non-credit or additional credit modules alongside your studies. If you wish to enrol you must first
take our English language test.
If you are a native speaker of English, we can offer you support and advice to help you
to say more with your words.
How to register
- Take our English language test.
- Your results email will include an invitation to our registration session. Come to this to discuss
the classes available with our academic advisers.
English language classes are run under the In-Sessional EL support programme.
- Grammar (SK050-4,
- PhD Language Support (SK038-7)
- Speaking Skills and Strategies Part 1 (SK035-4,
- Speaking Skills and Strategies Part 2 (SK037-4,
- Writing Skills and Strategies (SK020-4,
- Exam Writing Practice (SK042-4,
- Job Talk (SK090-4,
We also offer one-to-one adviser sessions.
We offer classes in writing skills, academic speaking and pronunciation.