In recognition of World Menopause Day, we've asked seven members of staff to share their insights, answer common questions, and offer any guidance they may have on navigating the experience of Perimenopause and Menopause.

Whether you're experiencing it yourself, or want to be a better ally, we hope these personal experiences offer valuable knowledge, reduce stigma, and encourage open conversations.

For further information on the support available to you by the University, check out our line manager guidance available on our website.

Can you describe when and how you first started noticing symptoms of menopause?

Medical and surgically induced so instant menopause in order to relieve symptoms of Endometriosis.

How did you feel when you realized you were entering menopause?

Decision was whether to continue to suffer or to opt for menopause by having surgery.

What physical symptoms have you experienced during menopause?

Memory issues and brain fog, initial weight loss which has now stabilised, luckily as this was planned the hot flashes and night sweats have not been an issue as HRT has these under control.

Which symptoms have been the most challenging for you?

Memory Issues as I used to have really good memory but have to write everything down to ensure I don’t forget it.

Have you noticed any changes in your energy levels or sleep patterns?

Energy levels are lower and struggle to get off to sleep at night, constantly have to get up at night.

Have you experienced mood swings, anxiety, or depression? If so, how have you managed them?

Anxiety about whether I was making the right choice beforehand but since I’ve been lucky not to.

What strategies or treatments have you used to manage your menopause symptoms?

HRT Gel, lavender oil capsules.

How effective have these strategies or treatments been for you?

GP very supportive and managed to get the correct dose sorted quickly in regards to HRT.

Have you sought professional medical advice or support? If so, how was your experience with healthcare providers?

GP was very supportive and helped me to fight for what I needed and provided advice and support along with pros and cons of options on HRT and arranging everything in advance of surgery to ensure early intervention to prevent unwanted symptoms.

Do you feel supported by those around you in dealing with menopause?

Yes lucky to have a good support network.

Have you talked openly about your menopause experience with others?

With close friends and colleagues on a similar path.

How has menopause impacted your work life or career?

Maybe just as result of Surgery recovery but feel tasks take a little longer to achieve but overall little impact.

Are there any accommodations or changes you think workplaces should make to support women going through menopause?

All individuals are different, looking to accommodate people as individuals with support where needed is a essential, I have an incredibly supportive line manager who has ensured my return to work has been at the right pace for both of us allowing me time and flexibility within my work schedule where required.

What has been the most surprising aspect of menopause for you?

It’s not been as bad as I feared before surgery.

What advice would you give to other women who are about to enter menopause?

It’s not all bad, getting medical support and intervention can counteract a lot of the worse symptoms, finding a supportive GP especially if they are female and of a certain age is worth it’s weight in gold.

Is there anything you wish you had known about menopause before experiencing it?

It isn’t always as bad as it seems and not something to be scared of.

How do you feel about your body and health now compared to before menopause?

My body is more co-operative now than it was before, although my joints are more prone to protestation than they were before.

What positive changes, if any, have you noticed since entering menopause?

Now things are moving along a positive path being relatively pain free and no more severe PMT, I can go out without fear of severe pain and bleeding, can get back to living my life in a happier way, just need to remember to have a way of taking notes for important dates or information, my smart phone is my best friend.