Julie Procter is retiring having worked here for an amazing 37 years. She tells us about her time at Essex, from her first job working in the School of Science and Engineering to her current role in Essex Abroad.

What was your first job when you started at Essex? 

I started working at Essex in January 1988. It was very snowy, and I didn’t see a soul for days so I read the Rules of Assessment – a love of the Rules of Assessment remains with me still.  When I started, I was the Secretary to the School of Science and Engineering. It was a simple interview process back then and there were only three Schools – Science and Engineering, Humanities, and Social Sciences. Currently I am the Essex Abroad Adviser for Outgoing Study Abroad students.  

How has the University changed, and what has remained the same?

How we work has changed beyond belief. Back in the day, if you wanted to contact a student you had to “pull” a physical file with the students’ details. You only ever wrote to students, there were no mobile phones or e-mail, and the threat of “sit ins” was still an issue.

Exam results were posted outside of the School office for all to see. There was little confidentiality in terms of students’ results. You worked very closely with the Dean of the School – taking letters down in short-hand and typing them up, and the University Calendar was a hardcopy document that was delivered to all offices (a task that means I understand the room numbering system better than most).

What hasn’t changed is the students and the will of staff to ensure that students have a good experience. The University feels a good place to work.

What are your happiest memories of being at Essex?

When I was working for the Academic Registrar, I was heavily involved in the development of Wivenhoe Park Day Nursery. The original nursery was based in the site hut left over from the building of the University. The Vice-Chancellor at the time, Sir Martin Harris, was a great supporter of the nursery. After many months of work it was my pleasure to watch my oldest daughter cut the first turf for the new building with the Vice-Chancellor. Many years later, she returned to Essex to take a postgraduate diploma.

I have been fortunate to move jobs over the years to fit in with the needs of my family, and I have so many happy memories of the colleagues/friends I have met. The university is a friendly place and a great leveller, so I’ve made all sorts of friends from cleaners to Vice-Chancellors, and we all have to work together to make this place work. To have had the opportunity to learn my “craft” from great people has been amazing.

Julie Procter stood by the lake at our Colchester Campus.

What have you enjoyed most about working here?

Encouraging students to spread their wings and watching how their year abroad has developed them has been a really rewarding element of my current role. Some students need more support than others, and it’s always special when those students who’ve struggled during their year abroad go on to graduate.

Do you have any top tips for those of us staying behind?

• Keep the Essex spirit alive and do your best to support students.
  • Make friends wherever you can.
  • Respect your colleagues. 
  • Build your networks. One thing that the University has taught me is the importance of networks.
  • Take a break – something that all of us tends to forget when we are busy.
  • Make the most of the beautiful campus.  

Finally, remember to close the door on bad experiences and tough days – treat everyday as a new beginning. Everyone is under pressure, so don’t let small matters affect your perspective on life and the University.

What are your plans for after retirement?

I am looking forward to having more time with my family, but also more time to indulge myself.  I am passionate about wild swimming, and I have become addicted to yoga – my friend has trained as a yoga teacher for more mature people, and I am loving it! After a breather I will probably look for a part-time job, hopefully supporting the NHS.  However, you might see me back on campus, perhaps I’ll help at Graduation as one of the graduation temps next Summer.  That would be nice.