Dr Matthew Wells and Dr Konstantia Zhougkou

Dr Matthew Wells and Dr Konstantina Zougkou

Tell us a bit about yourselves, who are you and what do you do?

Konstantina: My name is Konstantina Zougkou, and I started my role as Research Development Manager (RDM) for the Faculty of Science and Health in January 2019. My remit covers the Department of Psychology and our Schools of Life Sciences, Health and Social Care, and Sport, Rehabilitation and Exercise Sciences (SRES).

Matthew: I am Matthew Wells. I started as RDM in September 2023. My remit covers the School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering (CSEE) and the School of Mathematics, Statistics, and Actuarial Science (SMSAS).

What does your role as a Research Development Manager (RDM) entail, and what support can you offer our Science and Health academics?

In a nutshell, we offer support in many things grant-related, especially preparing funding applications and identifying opportunities that fit with the research ideas and interests within the Faculty of Science and Health.

RDMs draw upon their knowledge about different funders and funding opportunities and advise applicants accordingly. We keep up to date with funders’ strategic priorities and changes to funding schemes they offer. We identify and circulate suitable sources of funding based on the research expertise within each department and inform staff when deadlines of popular schemes are approaching.

We advise on eligibility and the application procedures of different schemes, as well as our own institutional processes. We provide feedback on proposals and support the development of other documents such as the data management plan. We also help organise sift panels, mock interviews and present funding opportunities at sandpits and workshops.

The RDM role also extends beyond the application process. We encourage and explore possibilities for collaboration – both within the University and externally – especially where there are opportunities for previously-unexplored avenues. We help to put researchers in contact with each other and organise networking events. We liaise with funding bodies, and organise funder visits to inform on opportunities, good practice, and anything else of relevance.

Guidance in securing funding is invaluable for all applicants, so provision of suitable training is essential. Sessions are held for academics of all career stages and can be tailored based on feedback and demand. Our role includes not only the development and delivery of such courses, but also involving ‘guest speakers’ and arranging training from external providers.

Tell us about your background. When did you first start at Essex and how have you come to join our RDM team?

Konstantina: For the years before I started this role, I had two postdoctoral positions and was a Lecturer in Psychology here at Essex. I felt the need for a career change and the RDM position seemed a great opportunity for this. In my RDM role I apply all my qualifications, as well as the knowledge and skills I acquired in my previous positions. I have the opportunity to liaise with academic staff from different departments and review some amazing projects. The REO has been a very supportive environment and I am really enjoying my work here.

Matthew: I started at Essex in 2000 as a Mathematics undergraduate. Following graduation, I worked in further and secondary education. I then returned to Essex in 2009 to undertake an MSc in Mathematics and followed this with a PhD. In 2016 I joined the REO as Research Impact Officer for Science and Health, and then moved into the RDM role for CSEE and SMSAS. The University has given me fantastic opportunities and I feel privileged to work here.

What are you working on at the moment, and do you have any goals for the next 12 months?

Konstantina: I am currently reviewing research proposals in preparation for submission to the Research Councils, NIHR, British Academy, Leverhulme Trust, Wellcome Trust and other funders. I am the lead in supporting the annual AMS Springboard scheme and run the internal sift process. I have one-to-one Zoom meetings with academics new to the institution, taking them through the application process here at Essex and discussing their research focus with the aim to identify funding opportunities for the near future. I spend a lot of my time, when not reviewing, identifying new strategic calls and distributing these to the relevant departments making them aware of these opportunities. As a team, we also offer grant writing workshops not only for academics of all career stages but also for PhD students/postdoctoral researchers. The aim is to help our students and researchers acquire useful tips to prepare strong applications and make them aware of funding post PhD. I offer training sessions throughout the year and as part of the Newcomers programme. The main goal for the next 12 months is to support academics to get comfortable with the new UKRI funding portal and to achieve more funding awards.

Matthew: There are more routine aspects of the role which are always on the go, such as reviewing applications (to the EPSRC and Leverhulme Trust for example) and providing feedback accordingly, as well as circulating relevant funding opportunities. There are also more seasonal/project-based activities. For instance, I am currently supporting Konstantina with AMS Springboard. I am also supporting UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships (FLF) mock interviews and a proposal for the current FLF application round. Goals wise, I am particularly focussed on initiatives to support first time applicants/early career researchers. I am also the RDM who deals with equipment orientated funding and seeking to develop here.

What key advice would you offer to help develop a successful grant application?

Firstly, involve the Research and Enterprise Office (REO) as early as possible - especially our Pre-Award Team and the relevant RDM. Costing a project takes time, and the sooner RDMs receive application drafts the better able we are to conduct a quality, meaningful review.

Good time management is important. The REO offers a lot of support, but applicants need to allow plenty of time for checking eligibility, providing feedback, authorisation, and any other necessary interventions. Some of the larger funding schemes will be required to follow the internal review process; the RDMs will guide you through it so please inform them of your intention to submit as early as possible to allow time for this. Please also factor in our institutional three-working-day approval process once the application is complete and communicate this clearly to any collaborators.

In terms of the application itself, clarity is essential. Is what you are trying to do explicitly presented and free from jargon? Make your objectives specific, measurable, achievable, appropriate, and time bound. Ensure your proposal is relevant, demonstrating that it is timely in relation to major societal issues or the funding body’s strategic priorities, for example. Demonstrate the feasibility in plans, methodologies, team expertise etc. and show rather than tell - extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence; don’t promise anything that cannot be delivered either. Consider who might benefit and how (both in academia and beyond), engage early and establish your networks. Prepare efficiently, and work collaboratively - smarter development makes for a smarter proposal; cleverer bids are more likely to win. Make your case compelling too: why should the funder award this proposal above all others in the competition? And finally, read the funders’ guidelines!

A strong, well-thought-out application is most likely to succeed and remember we are here to help, so please don’t hesitate to get in touch at any point.

What do you enjoy most about your job and what else do you like to do in your spare time?

Konstantina: I love supporting funding applications; it gives me the opportunity to read amazing research ideas from the schools/departments I support.

Outside of work, I always loved mountain hiking and I did a lot of this in my younger years when I lived in Greece. I hiked mountains with different peak heights and under many conditions. My greatest achievement was climbing Mount Olympus, the highest mountain in Greece. Its highest peak rises to 2,917 metres. It was an exhilarating feeling to be at the top and the view was amazing. I have not done this much lately so my dream is to get to do it again soon!

Matthew: : It’s nice to engage with academics, feel one has made a real difference and, like Colonel John “Hannibal” Smith from The A-Team, I love it when a plan comes together.

Cycling means a great deal to me. I did a lot when I was younger, and my greatest achievement was winning the Grand Prix of Essex in 2001. According to the Daily Gazette article at the time: ‘He [Bradley Wiggins] will be the man to beat!’ The result, however, was first place Matt Wells, second place Stefan Suy, and third place Simon Gaywood. I have not raced for ages, but my dream is to again one day. I also go for walks and run when I have the legs.