If you, like me, have a diagnosis of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and rely on medication to help you manage some of your symptoms – you have likely experienced a bit of panic recently, as UK pharmacies have found it challenging to source these medications consistently. After my own initial panic at only receiving half a month’s supply in a generic brand that was also only half of my prescribed dose – I thought it might be useful to revisit, and to share, some of the tools that have been worked for me – tools taken from ADHD coaching I received, and some coping strategies I’ve acquired over the years through trial and error.

While medication can be a vital part of managing symptoms for some, not everyone has access to it, and not everyone wants it – and that’s okay. Medication isn’t for everyone. Whether due to supply issues, financial constraints, or personal choice, finding effective ways to manage the symptoms that are most disruptive to our day to day is crucial in order to continue to thrive and feel successful in a neurotypical world.

While this post aims to be helpful, please be aware that I am not a doctor - nor am I a professional in the field of neurodiversity. These are tips that have worked for me – but remember that everyone has their own personal experience of neurodiversity – and no two people are alike in their experience. For more information, or to identify further tips and resources, consider requesting a referral to Occupational Health and check out the work we are doing around neurodiversity.

Understanding ADHD

ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity, though not everyone displays every characteristic of ADHD. For example, women often learn from a very young age to mask their symptoms of hyperactivity due to societal pressures on girls and women to conform to stereotypes (think ‘quiet, well-behaved young ladies’) at a young age.

Some of the more significant symptoms can affect our professional and academic performance, social interactions, and everyday tasks. Recognizing the unique ways ADHD manifests in each of us as individuals is the first step towards finding effective coping mechanisms.

Organisational tools and strategies for Managing ADHD

Planners and calendars

Physical planners

A traditional planner can be a tactile way to keep track of assignments, deadlines, and appointments. I like to use one with a monthly, weekly and daily calendar in one place.

Digital calendars

Tools like Google Calendar or Microsoft Outlook can send reminders and are easily accessible on multiple devices – this is key. If I can access it on my laptop I need to also be able to access it on my phone.

Task management apps

OneNote

This app allows you to create detailed to-do lists, set priorities, and track progress. It’s accessible on multiple devices and allows you to organise as much or as little as you’d like. I have a coping mechanism that means I have to know exactly where things are at all times – or else it’s lost. My ADHD Coach drilled into my mind the phrase ‘If it’s not written down, it doesn’t exist’.

Trello

A visual tool that uses boards, lists, and cards to organize tasks and projects. I love this app as it allows me to drag items from one list to the next. I tend to set up lists for each day of the week, in addition to a ‘Priority’ list and a ‘Backburner’ list – which allows me to flexible in the way I prioritise.

Home routines

This tool is a brilliant way to divide and conquer with regards to chores at home. It allows you to designate a “zone” for each day and lets you tick things off with little gold stars – I love a gold star!

iPhone Reminders app

There’s nothing easier than asking Siri to ‘add ‘mayo’ to my grocery list’. This list is shared with my wife, which means that if she wants me to buy something specific when I order the groceries, she can put it on this list without asking me to remember to order it. Because if it’s not written down…

I also have a list for ‘Don’t forget’ and ‘To discuss later with…’ because sometimes I need to focus on the job at hand rather than stop what I’m doing to send a text or ask a question of someone.

Time management techniques

Hyperfocus – the ability to focus for hours on end on one task - can be my superpower, or it can be my kryptonite. Hyperfocus is never free, though – if I allow myself to focus for hours at a time without breaking, I have to be prepared to compensate for this focus the next day as my brain will need to crash after all of that focus. I mitigate periods of hyperfocus with a list of relatively ‘brain-light’ admin tasks that I keep on hand for such a time as this. Still - I like to use hyperfocus sparingly. In order to prevent hyper focusing, I employ the below techniques.

Pomodoro technique

Work for 25 minutes, then take a 5-minute movement break. Some people can work for 45min or an hour before they need a movement break. It’s all about the individual here. Repeat and take a longer break after four cycles. Check out the variety of apps that have been created for this technique – from basic timers to games to apps that allow you to plant actual trees the more you concentrate!

Time blocking

Schedule specific blocks of time for different tasks or activities, reducing the overwhelm of multitasking. I block these activities out in my diary so no other meetings go in and turn off my email alerts when working to a deadline.

Study techniques

The below activities are helpful for studying or intense focus work.

Active learning

Mind mapping

Visualize information and how it connects using diagrams. This is particularly useful when mapping out a big project that has many steps.

Summarization

Write summaries of what you've learned to reinforce understanding. Ask questions! Revisit the lecture recordings! (I don’t tend to do this with work, but I can see how it could be useful).

Environment optimization

Minimise distractions: Study in a quiet, clutter-free environment. Use apps like Freedom or Focus@Will to block distracting websites. Too quiet, however, can be an issue for me so I like to employ white noise apps or work in a crowded café. Again – this is all down to the individual.

Comfortable workspace: Ensure your study/work area s comfortable and ergonomic to maintain focus and reduce physical strain. Make sure you have plenty of fidget spinners or mind occupying activities available (knitting, fidget spinners or puzzle apps help me listen and pay attention during meetings by keeping the “chatter” part of my brain busy).

Lifestyle adjustments

Exercise

Regular physical activity can improve focus, mood, and energy levels. Incorporate activities you enjoy, such as walking, yoga, or team sports. If exercise is boring (when you have ADHD boredom can feel like someone is ripping your skin off – so it’s not to be taken lightly) to you – find a podcast you like or try a ZombieRun app!

Nutrition

Don’t forget to eat! Set an alarm for every meal and snack time so you’re not tempted to skip in a bout of focus.

Maintain a balanced diet with regular meals. Foods rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and complex carbohydrates can support brain function and energy levels.

Sleep hygiene

Establish a consistent sleep routine. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night, and create a relaxing bedtime ritual to help your mind wind down.

Mental health support

Counselling services

Peer support groups

• If you can, identify friends, peers or colleagues and have a chat about what works for you. Knowledge sharing is good for everyone.
  • There are forums for members of staff as well as students who might consider themselves to have a disability – remember, this includes neurodiversity. These forums are great places to find support, tips, tools and to raise issues.

Mindfulness and meditation

Practices like mindfulness meditation can help manage stress and improve attention. Apps like Headspace and Calm offer guided sessions. Mindfulness and meditation when you have ADHD doesn’t necessarily look like ‘stillness’. It can also look like walking, biking or even washing the dishes while intentionally considering the world around me.

Coping mechanisms for challenging situations

Break tasks into smaller steps

Large projects can be overwhelming. Break them into smaller, manageable tasks and tackle them one at a time. Use one of the organisation apps I’ve previously mentioned. Celebrate small victories to maintain motivation – there’s nothing like a tic box or small chime on an app to motivate you. If you need to put “Woke up” on that list and tic it to get your day started on the right foot – go for it!

Prioritize tasks

Use the Eisenhower Matrix to categorize tasks based on urgency and importance. Focus on high-priority tasks first to ensure critical deadlines are met. Start those tasks you are dreading first so they’re not left to the last minute when hyperfocus will be necessary.

If you need to organise your overwhelming inbox – consider folders labelled “Urgent”, “Not Urgent, but Important”, “Not Urgent, but time-sensitive” and “Not urgent or time-sensitive”. Move each email into one of these folders.

Seek out Reasonable Adjustments

If ADHD significantly impacts your work or academic performance, consider discussing reasonable adjustments with SWIS, your line manager, or OH. This might include flexible working, noise cancelling headphones, extended time on exams, note-taking assistance, or alternative testing environments.

Develop a routine

Establishing a consistent daily routine can create a sense of stability and predictability. Structure your day with regular times for work, breaks, studying, attending classes, eating, exercising, and relaxing.

I understand that living with ADHD without medication can be challenging – I spent 39 years without medication and even though I know I can manage without it if I have to, I’d really rather not. However, with the right tools and strategies, it is possible to cope, and even succeed, professionally, academically and personally.

Remember, managing ADHD is a continuous process of finding what works best for you. You may hate some of these suggestions – they may not work for you. Be patient with yourself, try new things and don't hesitate to seek support.

Stay focused, stay positive, and remember—you've got this. The supply issues won’t last forever, but in the meantime – enjoy getting to know your needs and the way your brain works a bit better.