Oh My God! Congratulations if you have successfully secured a placement, and if you haven’t managed yet, don’t give up! There is so much waiting for you; keep trying and looking out for the right opportunity. Anyway, if you are reading this – great, this shows that you eager to learn and become more prepared.

As an international student who moved to the UK from India to pursue my dream of working in the film industry, I completely understand if you are nervous about your placement year or any new job that you are starting. We all have the familiar feelings of doubt and uncertainty; however, now as a Placement Ambassador, allow me to introduce myself and share my incredible experience as an intern at Disney.

My name is Koushiki, and I'm a third-year film and literature student. During my placement year, I had the opportunity to work at Disney, specifically within the Series Commissioning team for Disney+ across the UK and Europe. It was an eye-opening and rewarding experience, and I'm excited to offer some insights into what to expect during your first week on placement.

Now bear in mind, I am at an early stage in my career and there is so much more to learn. However, from my two-years of experience, below is a list of key points to keep in mind while having the best time of your lives during your placement year.

Orientation

Your first week will likely kick off with an orientation session. This is your chance to get acquainted with the company culture, values, and mission. Embrace this opportunity to immerse yourself in the ethos of your new workplace.

Pro Disney Tip: Make sure to remember the name of the presenter as they are most likely to be from HR and will be extremely helpful if you have any questions regarding your employment contract, payroll, placement experience etc.

Training

Be prepared to dive into training sessions tailored to your role. Whether it's mastering new software or familiarising yourself with company protocols, approach each training session with enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. I understand this can be tedious, but it is worth it to ensure the proper faction of the workplace. Make sure to familiarise yourself with company policies and procedures. This includes everything from health and safety protocols to data protection guidelines.

Pro Disney Tip: Keep a copy of all your certificates and email them to yourself at the end of the year.

Introduction to Team Members

One of the most exciting aspects of your first week will be meeting your new colleagues. Take the time to introduce yourself, ask questions, and remember faces and names. Building strong relationships with your team members is key to success in any placement.

Pro Disney Tip: keep a small notebook/ use your notes app to keep key information/ unfamiliar jargon always on you.

Initial Tasks or Projects

Get ready to roll up your sleeves and dive into your first tasks or projects. While it's normal to feel a bit overwhelmed, remember to approach each task with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification if needed. Your line manager/ other team members will be more than happy to help you out.

Pro Disney Tip: Keep a daily journal for responsibilities/ task you get, it helps you remember and also important for your CV.

Now that you are slightly more prepared to deal with your first week of placement, I would really urge you to do the following things to make the best out of your experience:

• Setting Goals and Expectations: Be proactive take some time during your first week to sit down with your supervisor/ manager to discuss your goals for the placement year. This is your chance to create a mentor-mentee relationship and get career guidance form a professional. Remember, a placement year is about your learning as much as it is about work experience. Pro Disney Tip: this is an exciting networking opportunity.
  • Learning Company Culture: Lastly, immerse yourself in the company culture. Whether it's participating in team events, joining lunchtime discussions, or volunteering for extracurricular activities, take every opportunity to connect with your colleagues and learn more about the industry and the opportunities available. Pro Disney Tip: observing other people in the office will help you a lot in understanding the work environment including work attire, lunch habits, work time, etc.

As you prepare for your first day on placement, remember to stay open-minded, adaptable, and proactive. If you’re worried about anything make sure to reach out to the Placements Team as they are your first point -of-contact; however, if it is something more specific to your workplace, make sure to check in with you HR or your supervisor.

Your first week may be filled with challenges, but it's also an exciting opportunity to learn, grow, and make a lasting impression. Embrace the journey and make the most of every moment!