Claris is a PG student who has just completed her MSc in Speech and Language Therapy in the School of Health and Social Care here at  the University of Essex. This summer, Claris secured an independent volunteering placement with CBC Health Services in Cameroon and was awarded Turing Scheme funding via Essex Abroad to support the trip.

Can you tell us a little about your experience?

The summer abroad opportunity provided me with a unique learning experience. I had the privilege to work as a speech and language therapist (SLT) at the Mbingo Baptist Hospital in Kom for three weeks and at Mbingo Annexe in Bamenda for a week. Working alongside Dr Acha and his team at the ENT Department and a visiting doctor from Canada, Dr Archibald, I gained valuable experience. My responsibilities included working with a diverse group of patients, ranging from children to adults, who presented with a wide range of conditions. This experience allowed me to grow and learn, presenting numerous challenges that further developed my Speech and Language Therapist skills.Overall, my experience at Mbingo and Mbingo Annex gave me a well-rounded understanding of the diverse needs of children with speech, language, communication, and swallowing disorders, equipping me with invaluable skills and insights for my future practice as a speech and language therapist.

A student stands smiling outside the Cameroon Baptist Convention

What was it like working in a different country?

Living and working in Cameroon (Mbingo) deepened my understanding of the local culture and customs. Engaging with the local community was truly enriching, and conversing with patients in their native tongue was deeply gratifying, as it facilitated their comprehension of the services offered and the guidance given. It also enabled the individuals and their families to understand better their health conditions and how they impacted their speech, language, communication, voice, and swallowing abilities.

A student with a group of people in Cameroon whilst on a volunteer placement

What impact do you think this experience had on you?

I received invaluable mentorship and guidance from the dedicated staff at CBC Health Services, particularly on the teams within the Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) and Internal Medicine departments. This experience gave me a profound understanding of the challenges encountered in community-based rehabilitation and gave me valuable insights into practical strategies for overcoming these hurdles.I am genuinely thankful for the chance that Essex University provided me to work as a speech and language therapist, positively impacting the lives of those who benefited from my services. I wholeheartedly endorse this program for anyone interested in volunteering abroad, particularly in speech and language therapy.

Inspired by Claris' experience? Fly over to the Essex Abroad webpages to see where Essex can take you!