Second year undergraduate Psychoanalysis and Psychosocial Studies student Leia is utilising her experience and passion for alternative healing techniques to develop a business that promotes holistic wellbeing to a broader community.

How it started…

My formal education originally came to an end during my A Levels. At that stage in my life, the structure and methods of teaching didn’t suit me, so I made the decision to drop-out and go into full-time employment. In my spare time I began training as a Reiki practitioner and learning tarot, as I had always been interested in alternative approaches to healing and wellbeing.

After working for a few years and progressing into a management role, I decided I needed to take a career break to allow myself the chance to reconnect and realise my true passions. I went travelling around the world, allowing me to experience different cultures and lifestyles. It gave me the time and space to reflect on my life path and what I wanted to achieve.

Upon returning home, I began to explore my options for returning to education and made the decision to enrol for the Foundation Year in Psychoanalysis and Psychosocial Studies at Essex. My approach to learning at this point in my life was refreshed and I thrived in the subject area, which allowed me to progress to undergraduate level upon completion.

Business development…

While studying, I began working part-time as a freelance holistic health practitioner at a local clinic, specialising in traditional healing techniques. I then heard about the Essex Startups team and felt that I would benefit from enhancing my overall business knowledge, as I was now working for myself. I attended a workshop and a spark was ignited. I booked a 1:1 mentoring appointment and the idea for my business began to unfold.

My aim with The Lavender is to offer bespoke holistic treatments based on individual needs, and to provide experiences to a broad range of people to increase participation in non-invasive treatments that encourage the body’s self-healing.

Working with Essex Startups…

At the beginning of 2024 I participated in the Empower: Female Founders programme, which completely changed my perspective of my own capabilities and the future possibilities for my business. It was the other participants and the keynote speakers in the room that allowed me to realise my potential, by actively valuing my input and encouraging me at each stage. At the end of the programme, I pitched my business idea and was overwhelmed to be awarded my first investment of £600.

Attending the International Women’s Day panel discussion in March was a stand-out moment. Listening to the stories of the women participating, who came from a variety of cultural and industry backgrounds, was a truly inspiring and validating experience and boosted that sense of belief within me that I am on the right path.

In May I was invited to join Grow, a week-long accelerator programme offering a deeper understanding of business models, branding, and intellectual property. It was an intense few days but it helped to instil in each of us the importance of mindset and routine as a means to prosper. At the end of the week, I pitched my business to an expert panel and was thrilled to be awarded £1,500 in funding.

How it’s going…

I feel very fortunate to be developing a business in an industry I’m so passionate about. My core market remains female-centric, generally aged between 25-45, but as people are becoming more aware of alternative therapies and the importance of self-care, I’m hopeful that it will broaden over time.

My client base has grown organically via promotion from the clinic I’m based at, attending in-person wellbeing events, and word of mouth recommendations. However, I am developing a marketing and branding strategy to give me the foundation needed to begin scaling the business and raising my profile. With the support of the Essex Startups team, I am taking the time to ensure my approach is authentic and aligns with my personal values.

My work/life balance is always changing. With so much to juggle, it’s important for me to remain open and prepared to make changes quickly. Staying organised is essential to giving me a sense of structure and prevents moments of panic when I need to adapt my schedule.

What’s next…

My focus is to keep the development of my business progressing at a steady pace. After initially feeling impatient, I have learnt to appreciate that maintaining the right balance between my studies and my work is key.

I feel very positive about the point I have reached. I have a regular client base and I can prioritise sustaining those relationships. By taking my time with the business and trusting myself, I feel as though I have more stability and can take in enjoyment in the process.

I am planning to start producing video content to boost my online presence and offer insight into the types of therapeutic treatments I offer and what they involve. My aim with this content would be to dispel any misconceptions about holistic treatments and offer an enhanced introduction to my methods as a practitioner.

My long-term vision is to work collaboratively with other holistic practitioners to offer retreats, offering all-round personalised wellness experiences. Alongside this, I would like to create and deliver corporate wellbeing packages for local organisations, create packages for private events, and expand my online shop function to offer a wider range of associated products for clients to benefit from at home.

Words of wisdom…

If you have the spark of an idea, don’t wait until you feel or seem to others as though you’re ‘ready’. Often, we’re never fully ready for big changes in our lives, however, the rewards that come from taking leaps of faith can be profound. We tend to set our own limitations and sometimes those glimmers of self-doubt are the only thing standing in our way.

Believe in yourself and you can overcome any challenge.

Find out more

If you have a potential business idea, or are interested in developing your business skills, find out more about the training, events and support Essex Startups offers to current students and recent graduates.