This October, we celebrate Black History Month under the theme "Reclaiming Narratives" and reflect on the stories, heritage, and experiences shaping our student-athletes, especially within the context of their sport. Athletes who have redefined success by embracing their cultural roots and inspiring others through their journey.

One of our volleyball scholars’ Nigerian heritage has shaped his approach to sport and overall outlook on life. From community values to unwavering spirit, he shares how his culture connects with his every day at Essex.

Introducing... Tom Shatimehin

Essex rebels men's volleyball player Tom Shatimehin pre-game warm up listening to music

How has your cultural heritage shaped you as an athlete, and how do you bring it into your sport?

Nigerian culture values community, resilience, and hard work—qualities that shape how I approach volleyball. The emphasis on teamwork in my culture fits perfectly, and I sometimes draw inspiration from Nigerian music and dance during training or warm-ups. Staying connected to my roots keeps me motivated to push for excellence.

What’s been your experience as a student-athlete in our performance programme, and how has the community supported you?

Balancing academics and sports can be tough, but the support from coaches, teammates, and staff has been great. They help me stay focused and motivated. Access to academic and mental health support makes a huge difference, feeling like you belong and being able to celebrate each other’s successes keeps things positive.

How does sport unite people from different backgrounds, and how has being part of this team impacted you?

Sport brings people together by working towards a common goal. Training and competing with teammates has made me more open-minded. Where I come from, we don’t get a lot in life, but we strive towards greatness to become who we know we can be. Coming from a different place and path to others, working hard to get where I am now, and being part of this team, has helped me grow. We learn to appreciate each other’s unique contributions, making a foundation for lifelong friendships.

Essex Rebels men's volleyball team celebration huddle

Can you share a personal story or memory that has influenced your outlook on sport and life?

Being recognised for my achievements at volleyball tournaments, especially when it connects to my impact in the community is rewarding. Visiting a local primary school and seeing the kids look up to me was a proud moment. It reminded me that sport is bigger than just winning games - it’s about inspiring others and being a role model for the next generation.

What does Black History Month mean to you, and how can sports help celebrate and educate others about Black culture?

Black History Month holds significant meaning and is a time to reflect on the rich contributions, achievements, and struggles of Black people. Sport is a powerful platform to highlight these stories. Athletes use their visibility to raise awareness, recognise the ongoing fight for equality, and celebrate Black history whilst inspiring future generations with their journey.

Encourage discussion around historical and cultural contexts of Black athletes, from pioneers like Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson to contemporary icons like Serena Williams and LeBron James.

What advice would you give to future student-athletes from diverse backgrounds?

Embrace who you are and share your story - it can inspire others. Stay committed to sport and studies, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Build connections with your teammates and coaches, participate in team activities, and learn from everyone’s unique perspectives.

Celebrating Black History Month at Essex

Our University talks and events programme reflects and celebrates our community throughout the year. As part of this, we celebrate Black History Month with a wide range of SU and University events, based around the theme for 2024: Reclaiming Narratives. Check out what's on this month.

Performance Sports at Essex

Discover how our Performance Sports programme at Essex can support your overall development.

Follow our student athletes’ journey on Instagram @uniessexperform

Sports scholarships and bursaries

We are committed to supporting and developing high performance athletes. Find out whether you could be eligible for a sports scholarship or bursary, plus a range of additional benefits too when you join the University of Essex.