In recognition of World Menopause Day, we've asked seven members of staff to share their insights, answer common questions, and offer any guidance they may have on navigating the experience of Perimenopause and Menopause.

Whether you're experiencing it yourself, or want to be a better ally, we hope these personal experiences offer valuable knowledge, reduce stigma, and encourage open conversations.

For further information on the support available to you by the University, check out our line manager guidance available on our website.

Can you describe when and how you first started noticing symptoms of menopause?

If I think about it, I probably started experiencing perimenopause in my late 30’s. Mood changes were first, but I’ve also recently been diagnosed with Pre-Menstrual Dysphoria Disorder (PMDD) so that most likely made those symptoms more extreme. I was also in the middle of fertility treatment and found my egg count to be very very low. The night sweats started in my early 40’s though, along with the joint pain.

How did you feel when you realized you were entering menopause?

It made a lot of sense, but as I was too old for some treatments, and too young for others, there didn’t seem to be a lot that I could do. The coil wasn’t an option because it could make my PMDD worse, so I was referred to a specialist and am still waiting to be seen.

What physical symptoms have you experienced during menopause?

Definitely hot flushes, night sweats, dry eyes and mood changes. The irritability can be intense right before my cycle starts and my period lasted 16 days at one point!

Which symptoms have been the most challenging for you?

The irritability and mood swings, the exhaustion from the heavy/long periods.

Have you noticed any changes in your energy levels or sleep patterns?

I wake up a lot throughout the night due to joint pain, sometimes it’s just easier to get up.

How has menopause affected your emotional well-being?

Not just mine, but also my partner’s as I can be unpredictable and moody. Finding ways to cope help, but trying to stay aware of my own moods constantly can be exhausting.

Have you experienced mood swings, anxiety, or depression? If so, how have you managed them?

Yes, I take medication for the PMDD that is just an anti-depressant and it helps SO much. It’s absolutely worth it, and I’m just grateful it exists.

What strategies or treatments have you used to manage your menopause symptoms?

I’m still waiting to be seen by a specialist as I have been told by my GP that I’m too old for tablets, too young for HRT (which I feel is based on antiquated information), and can’t be put on the coil due to my PMDD.

Have you sought professional medical advice or support? If so, how was your experience with healthcare providers?

I’m still waiting to see a specialist after months on a wait list. I do feel as though the decision not to put me on HRT due to my age is based on antiquated information, but I don’t have any other option but to wait for the specialist to call.

How has menopause affected your relationships with your partner, family, or friends?

It’s been difficult – the irritability, the moodiness – all of these things affect my family. I’m hopeful that treatment will help, but it is taking a long time to come through.

Do you feel supported by those around you in dealing with menopause?

I feel supported, but not specifically for menopause.

Have you talked openly about your menopause experience with others?

Not in detail with friends or colleagues or other than the passing comment re: temperature, etc. I have with my partner, but I’m lucky to have a partner that mostly understands it.

How has menopause impacted your work life or career?

My memory and attention has been impacted, but my joint pain has had the biggest impact, I think. It requires me to take more breaks and ensure I have the right equipment at home and at work.

Have you found your workplace to be supportive of your needs during menopause?

We don’t really talk about it, other than in the women’s network and around the idea of policies.

What has been the most surprising aspect of menopause for you?

The joint pain and my body not working the way it used to.

What advice would you give to other women who are about to enter menopause?

Read and do your research. Start addressing diet and exercise early on. Check your AMH (egg levels) before you make decisions re: pregnancy if that’s something you want in life so you know if there will be any issues that may require more proactive decision-making.

Is there anything you wish you had known about menopause before experiencing it?

I feel like I need to approach it differently if I want to get healthy – more protein, more movement, weight bearing exercises. All of that is difficult to do with the joint pain, but without other options in terms of help from doctors it’s my best chance.