In recognition of World Menopause Day, we've asked seven members of staff to share their insights, answer common questions, and offer any guidance they may have on navigating the experience of Perimenopause and Menopause.

Whether you're experiencing it yourself, or want to be a better ally, we hope these personal experiences offer valuable knowledge, reduce stigma, and encourage open conversations.

For further information on the support available to you by the University, check out our line manager guidance available on our website.

Can you describe when and how you first started noticing symptoms of menopause?

I noticed my periods becoming heavier and increasingly more painful with prolonged bouts of PMS beforehand. I also suffer with IBS and noticed that this was always worst around my periods as well. This really hit me at 40 and it was really affecting my general wellbeing. I dreaded the four week cycle coming round each month. I decided to contact the doctor who prescribed me the mini-pill, which at first took a little time to settle but it made my periods pain free and then completely stopped them. This made a massive difference, as I no longer had the dreaded cycle of symptoms each month. Then when I hit 45 I noticed a massive difference in my emotional wellbeing. I just wanted to cry all the time and this is not like me. I am generally upbeat and enjoy life, so I knew instantly something wasn’t right. I also noticed a big dip in energy levels, everything seemed a struggle and I also started to have aches/pains.

How did you feel when you realized you were entering menopause?

As there is more awareness around peri and menopause, I was already tuned into changes that might happen. For me, I just wanted to ease symptoms to be able to have a normal standard of living. I found most support from speaking with friends who were also going through similar symptoms and we shared our experiences which really helped.

What physical symptoms have you experienced during menopause?

Perimenopause caused me to be very lethargic, increased headaches and general aches and pains. I am a very active person who enjoys regular keep fit, so I knew this wasn’t normal for me.

Which symptoms have been the most challenging for you?

To be honest the combination of symptoms makes it very hard. I think for me the toughest were the emotional and energy levels.

Have you noticed any changes in your energy levels or sleep patterns?

I seem to go through bouts of either needing more sleep or then not sleeping so well. Energy levels took a massive dip but I have HRT which has really helped.

How has menopause affected your emotional well-being?

Initially, I was a blubbering wreck. I didn’t have loads of stress in my life or other contributing factors to feel so emotional. I felt guilty feeling like this for my family as it was nothing they were doing, I just couldn’t stop from crying but knew this was linked to my hormones.

Have you experienced mood swings, anxiety, or depression? If so, how have you managed them?

I have cycles of where my anxiety will peak. And again, this has ebbs and flows. For me, being in nature has always helped. When I’m feeling anxious I make sure to get out for a good walk, listen to some walking meditation and enjoy nature. It really does work. I also find doing other forms of keep fit helps me to release the built-up anxiety.

Do you feel that menopause has impacted your cognitive functions, such as memory or concentration?

Again, this ebbs and flows. Sometimes I feel really alert and on the ball but other days I can find my thinking patterns are a bit slower and I really need to concentrate. I’ve also noticed I’ve got worse at remembering people’s names.

What strategies or treatments have you used to manage your menopause symptoms?

when I was 45 I contacted the doctors again regarding HRT. I was initially prescribed patches where you have two weeks oestrogen and two weeks progesterone. I gradually noticed on the two weeks of progesterone I was getting headaches and bloated, so I contacted the doctors again who swapped me to pump gel for oestrogen and ultrogestan tablets for the progesterone. This progesterone is a newer version rather than the older synthetic types and my body seemed to like this much better. I also continued taking the mini-pill so I don’t have any bleeds.

How effective have these strategies or treatments been for you?

The combination has, for the most part, worked for me. I still don’t have periods so I’m not suffering with the pain etc. and I have my energy back with no aches or pains! I’m not a blubbering wreck anymore but I do still have to manage my anxiety and sleep can still be disrupted.

Have you sought professional medical advice or support? If so, how was your experience with healthcare providers?

Yes, I contacted my doctors. I think doctors are much more aware of these issues and more receptive to listening to us. However, as I said before, you know what feels right for you and your body. If you are not feeling your normal self don’t hesitate to contact the doctors. Stick to your guns, sometimes you have to be assertive but don’t ever feel you just have to suffer because that isn’t right.

Have you talked openly about your menopause experience with others?

I have found most support from my husband and friends. Although my hubby can’t totally understand what I’m going through, he has been a fantastic sounding board and never made me feel bad for how I’ve been feeling. Discussing things with friends made me realise how many woman do suffer and how this can affect us all so differently. Speaking with friends has been an enormous support.

Are there any accommodations or changes you think workplaces should make to support women going through menopause?

Working in a predominantly female team with many of us in our 40s and above, I do feel I can talk quite openly about my experiences. However, I think general workplace support could be improved. It’s great that discussions are taking place in the workplace about this but I wonder if all training for managers should include a section around supporting peri and menopausal colleagues.

Everybody will have a different experience. Some will have no symptoms at all and sail through peri and menopause, whilst others can be severely impacted. What I would advise is to start reading up on the peri and menopause so that when you hit your 40s you are ready and prepared. You can then spot symptoms and keep journals to track and monitor. If you start noticing changes in your body/emotional/mental health then contact your GP. Don’t feel scared because help is out there. Speak to friends to share experiences and offer support. There are also several online support forums which can also be a great place to seek support.