In recognition of World Menopause Day, we've asked seven members of staff to share their insights, answer common questions, and offer any guidance they may have on navigating the experience of Perimenopause and Menopause.

Whether you're experiencing it yourself, or want to be a better ally, we hope these personal experiences offer valuable knowledge, reduce stigma, and encourage open conversations.

For further information on the support available to you by the University, check out our line manager guidance available on our website.

Can you describe when and how you first started noticing symptoms of menopause?

It is difficult to pinpoint as I think menopause hit me alongside a medical issue and medication where some symptoms overlap with those of menopause.

How did you feel when you realized you were entering menopause?

I have to assume that at least some of my symptoms are related to menopause. Given my age, I have accepted that. Nobody wants to acknowledge they are aging but, as we are powerless to stop it, I have just gone along with it, trying to minimise impact and knowing that what I am experiencing will pass.

What physical symptoms have you experienced during menopause?

Night sweats (although not frequently or as severe as others seem to. Having not experienced it before, I do struggle with anxiety but I don’t know if that is a symptom of menopause or linked to my condition and/or medication.

Have you experienced mood swings, anxiety, or depression? If so, how have you managed them?

Memory issues persist. Depression is no longer an issue following the change in medication to control my health issue.

Do you feel that menopause has impacted your cognitive functions, such as memory or concentration?

I cannot be sure but is quite possible.

What strategies or treatments have you used to manage your menopause symptoms?

I tried but HRT but very quickly realised that it exacerbated my medical condition so immediately came off it.

How effective have these strategies or treatments been for you?

What has been effective in managing my anxiety has been regular yoga practice.

Have you talked openly about your menopause experience with others?

Yes, with office colleagues who are experiencing menopause.

How has menopause impacted your work life or career?

Anxiety at work is an issue that I am grappling with as I have never experienced it before. But again, it may be because of the manifestations of my medical condition. I just don’t know. But it does present problems for me at work.

Have you found your workplace to be supportive of your needs during menopause?

Supportive of my needs but not ‘labelled’ as due to menopause.

Are there any accommodations or changes you think workplaces should make to support women going through menopause?

I think the University is good at acknowledging the issues that people face in general and taking action to support. I think we have a lot more support than is available in other workplaces.

What has been the most surprising aspect of menopause for you?

The change in what I can do and feeling powerless to do anything about it.

What advice would you give to other women who are about to enter menopause?

Use the wide range of information resources that exist so that you can recognise symptoms and not worry that something is wrong with you.