In recognition of World Menopause Day, we've asked seven members of staff to share their insights, answer common questions, and offer any guidance they may have on navigating the experience of Perimenopause and Menopause.

Whether you're experiencing it yourself, or want to be a better ally, we hope these personal experiences offer valuable knowledge, reduce stigma, and encourage open conversations.

For further information on the support available to you by the University, check out our line manager guidance available on our website.

Can you describe when and how you first started noticing symptoms of menopause?

As I turned 40, I suddenly felt massively out of control of my emotions and my body. I have always struggled with my emotions around my period, but this was completely different. I was also struggling to sleep and experiencing changes to my periods and dry skin. I booked in my GP after talking to some friends and colleagues and they gave me a full check-up. This led to discovering I had fibroids but did not confirm that I was perimenopausal although the GP seemed to think I could be..

What strategies or treatments have you used to manage your menopause symptoms?

The GP said I could try HRT but, in the end, I decided to try some supplements from Holland and Barrett and manage my symptoms with diet and exercise. 5 months along and I am feeling much more myself although I have also been diagnosed with acne rosacea which can be caused by hormonal changes and might take a while to clear up. I plan to keep going as I am now and go back to the GP if anything changes or if I feel like things are getting worse.

What advice would you give to other women who are about to enter menopause?

The good thing is now I have a couple of key people I can talk to, and this has really helped to make it seem less scary and normalise going to ask for help. So far, my advice is that there are lots of options, there is always someone to talk to, and even small changes can make you feel a lot better.